Halong Bay to Cat Ba Island: Speedboat or Ferry?
The two most popular ways to get from Halong bay to Cat Ba Island are by speedboat and by ferry.
- Speedboat is the fastest way to get to Cat Ba island from Halong bay.
- Ferry is a less expensive option with 5-10 daily departures carrying about 2-3000 passengers/day.
1. Speedboat (Fastest)
There are several shared speedboat services available to Cat Ba island from Bai Chay and Tuan Chau. Most of them run a fixed route from Bai Chay - Tuan Chau - Gia Luan harbour - Beo harbour with an average price of 120,000 VND.
- Pros: Fast as it takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Cons: More expensive than taking ferry.
Schedule and price
|Route||Tuan Chau to Cat Ba Island (Gia Luan Harbour)||One-way (per person)|
|Departure Time||07:15||150,000 VND|
How to book: Tickets can be purchased directly at the ferry ticketing counter or through a travel agency (Cat Ba Express: +84 84 824 4999 - 024 3873 4999).
A very popular option to get to Cat Ba island is to take the ferry. The ride is quite enjoyable as it offers nice sea views of the surroundings. Ferries leave daily from the Tuan Chau ferry terminal and it takes around 2 to 2.5 hours to get to Cat Ba Island. Baggage is included. The price of a ticket is around $3 to $5.
- Pros: Enjoyable ride with nice bay views.
- Cons: Slow as it takes 2-2.5 hours.
Schedule and price:
Departure times from 30-April to 30-September (Peak season):
- Tuan Chau – Cat Ba: 7:30, 9:00, 11:30, 13:30, 15:00
- Cat Ba – Tuan Chau: 9:00, 11:30, 13:00, 15:00, 16:00
Departure times from 01-October to 29-April (Shower season)
- Tuan Chau – Cat Ba: 7:30, 11:30, 15:00
- Cat Ba – Tuan Chau: 9:00, 13:00, 16:00
How to book: To book your ticket, you can contact the ferry operator directly at: 0332 473 668 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated Price List (August, 2019)
|Passengers (with no vehicle)||80,000 VND|
|Passengers (with motorbike)||100,000 VND|
|Cars (9 seater or smaller)||480,000 VND|
|Vans (9-15 seats)||520,000 VND|
In general, ferry is a very easy way to travel with comfortable seating, toilets on board and a bar where some food can be purchased.
READ THIS NEXT
The distance from Sapa to Halong Bay is about 480km (298 miles). There are a couple of ways to transfer ...Read more
Book your cruise
Halong Bay: Questions
Free ITINERARY planning with us!
Planning your trip with our Halong local experts, we will help you with:
- Accomodation: Find the best hotels/homestay or BnB.
- Tours: Connect you to the trusted tour operator in Halong bay.
- Cruises: Find the best cruise on your date!
- It is all FREE