January in Halong Bay: Weather and Event Guide
January in Halong Bay is often cold and dry. It may not be best for swimming but definitely great for taking photos of the scenic landscape.
- January is a drier and sunnier month than most! Prepare for cooler temperatures and layer up your clothes.
- It’s a great time of year for many activities but it may be a bit too cold for water activities and swimming.
- Bring a swimsuit anyway as temperatures can be unpredictable.
Weather in January
January in Halong Bay means bluer skies and sunnier days. Temperatures are cooler compared to the rest of the year with an average temperature of 17°C, which means that you can enjoy the sunshine without working up too much of a sweat. Remember to bring sunscreen even in January, as UV indexes can still read high, even when it’s not very hot.
|Month||High / Low (°C)||Average rainfall (MM)||Rainy Days|
|January (2018)||20° / 14°||15 mm||4 days|
Pros & Cons for Visiting in January
- Cooler temperatures and low rainfall mean great conditions for lots of activities that are usually on offer.
- Stable weather gives a lower risk of having things canceled due to weather warnings.
- Comfortable weather conditions attract more visitors. Halong Bay may be even busier than normal which can drive prices up.
- January sometimes brings some foggy weather which can get in the way of the brilliant views.
As well as international New Years’ Day on January 1st, Lunar New Year (Tet Holiday) is sometimes celebrated in late January. Many businesses close shop and restaurants often operate at half hours as well as adding a surcharge to their usual fees. Transportation routes may be congested and government offices stay closed.
- January 01, 2020: New Year Holiday
- January 25, 2020: Tet Holiday (Lunar New Year)
- January 23, 2023: Tet Holiday
What to Pack
The weather is cooler in January but the weather in Vietnam is unpredictable. You should remember to pack light clothes that can be layered easily, as well as sunscreen and sunglasses and a swimsuit, just in case!
Don’t forget to bring a warm jacket, you may not use it but at least you’ll have it if you need it.
READ THIS NEXT
Book your cruise
Halong Bay: Questions
Free ITINERARY planning with us!
Planning your trip with our Halong local experts, we will help you with:
- Accomodation: Find the best hotels/homestay or BnB.
- Tours: Connect you to the trusted tour operator in Halong bay.
- Cruises: Find the best cruise on your date!
- It is all FREE