Halong Bay Weather in February
The average temperature in February is higher in January, making it a more comfortable time to travel to Halong Bay.
- February is the early springtime in Halong Bay, having warmer and more humid weather.
- It can be foggy in the early morning and bright sunlight is dominant mostly throughout the day.
- The sunlight is not intense, making it a perfect time for going outdoors.
- This is the time Vietnamese people celebrate the Tet holiday as well as the peak tourist season for foreigners.
February is definitely one of the most festive months of the year with the celebration of Lunar New Year or the traditional Tet holiday. This special occasion is spiritually considered an annually fresh new start for Vietnamese people. Halong Bay's weather in February continues to follow its previous pattern in January with dry and foggy weather. However, the temperature in February is a bit warmer than it is in January, thus you are spoilt for great outdoor activities.
February Weather in Halong Bay
The weather in Halong Bay features typical tropical monsoon weather of Northern Vietnam with four distinct seasons: spring, summer, autumn, and winter. February in Halong Bay falls at the end of winter and spring is on the way to come. The main type of weather at this period is a bit cold and foggy in the early morning, coming along with drizzle rains. However, there are still some sunny days which are not as extreme as those in summer. Therefore, you will not be likely to face the risk of getting sunburnt.
In more detail, the average temperature of Halong Bay in February is 18°C which is not too cold and acceptable for international visitors. Temperatures at night can occasionally hit a low of 5°C and a high of 29°C during the daytime. The humidity level is slightly higher than the previous month, accounting for 88%. This is synonymous with a higher number of rainny and drizzling days of 9 days.
February is reported as an ideal time for traveling and taking up sightseeing trips on Halong Bay thanks to enjoyable weather and clear visibility during the day.
|Month||High / Low (°C)||Average rainfall (MM)||Rainy Days|
|February (2021)||20° / 15°||12 mm||4 days|
Pros & Cons of visiting Halong bay in February
- February is warmer than January, providing great conditions for exploring Halong Bay. Despite drizzles on certain days, with comparatively low rainfall, it is unlikely that there will be any disruption to your bookings.
- This is the celebration time of the Tet holiday and other events such as Yen Tu festival and Cua Ong festival, offering you opportunities to discover locals' spiritual and religious life.
- There is a variety of activities that you can enjoy on Halong Bay in February such as getting on a cruise, kayaking, swimming, and rock climbing.
- February is still in Halong Bay’s peak season so it may be busier than other months.
- Many shops and services are closed during the Tet holiday which may cause some inconvenience.
- There are some chilly and wet days that deter you from taking outdoor excursions.
Halong Bay in February is brimming with lively festive activities. The first one to mention is the traditional Tet holiday or Lunar New Year Festival which usually takes place in the first half of February and last 7 days. At this time, all Vietnamese people are off from work, decorating houses and preparing for vibrant activities. A vast majority of cruises on Halong Bay also celebrate this important occasion onboard so to participate, you should check out the exact date of the Tet holiday and nearby occasions.
Apart from the most important festival of Vietnamese people, the traditional Lunar New Year, visiting Halong Bay in February, you will also have a chance to join two typical festivals namely Yen Tu Festival and Cua Ong Festival. The former Yen Tu Festival is held annually on the 10th day of the first lunar month and lasts for three months.
This is the time for pilgrims to attend solemn rituals at the base of Yen Tu Mountain, contemplate spectacular scenery, and enjoy celebrating activities. Similarly, the latter Cua Ong Festival takes place from the 2nd day of the first lunar month to the 30th day of the third lunar month. This festival comes with many activities such as an incense offering ceremony to Tran Dynasty and folk games including human chess and boat racing.
- Friday, February 12 2021: Tet Holiday 2021
- Tuesday, February 1 2022: Tet Holiday 2022
- Monday, February 12 2024: Tet Holiday 2024
- Tuesday , February 17: Tet Holiday 2026
Best things to do in Halong Bay in February
Cruising is perhaps a must for anyone traveling to Halong Bay. If you are pressed for time, you can take a day cruise trip to prominent tourist sites on Halong Bay. Meanwhile, if you have more time, it is best to book a 2-day or 3-day cruise on Halong Bay, Lan Ha Bay, and Bai Tu Long Bay.
Swimming and kayaking
Although the weather is still chilly someday, on brighter and more sunny days, you can take a deep swim under the warm water of Halong Bay's beaches. Besides, kayaking is a favorite activity that can be enjoyed all year round, especially in the warm weather of February. Almost all cruises and Halong Bay tours offer this interesting activity in Luon Cave, Dark & Bright Cave, Ba Trai Dao Beach, Tung Sau area, and so on.
The weather in February is neither too hot nor cold, thus suitable for extreme, energy-consuming activities, especially rock climbing. Some popular for rock climbing on Halong Bay are Luy Tam Biet, Cerro Torre, and La Plage des Pirates.
Partake in traditional festivals
Halong Bay in February is not only bestowed with more comfortable weather but also plenty of festivities including the Tet holiday, Yen Tu festival, and Cua Ong festival. If you are an active and curious traveler, you should not miss the chance to engage in these activities.
What to pack when traveling to Halong Bay in February
Visiting Halong Bay in February, you should pack some warmer clothes, jackets, and perhaps a raincoat to avoid being caught in the rain. A hoodie or sweater would be perfect!
Even though it’s Vietnam’s winter, you should still remember to take sunscreen and other skin protection. A high UV index is possible at any time of the year. Besides, other essential items to carry with you are pairs of shoes, sunglasses, insect repellent, and swimsuits.
To fully enjoy your trip to Halong Bay, you should keep in mind the following tips:
- Check the calendar whether your departure is on special occasions or not and book the cruise in advance to avoid overcrowding and increasing prices.
- Update the weather forecast frequently to arrange suitable activities.
- Bring necessary items and clothes for both cool and cold weather.
Last updated: August 12, 2022
Questions and Answers (0)
READ THIS NEXT
Cat Ba Island Weather & Climate
Get the latest on Cat Ba Island's climate information, geography, seasonal weather and average monthly temperatures.Read more
Halong Bay Weather in September
September signals the arrival of autumn on Halong Bay and is still in the rainny season. The temperatures and rainfall …Read more
Explore Halong Bay
Discover the charming and exotic landscapes of Halong bay on an all-inclusive luxury cruise!
Book your cruise
Meet local experts
Call us now: +84 354 64 1421 (Whatsapp)