Halong Bay Weather in March
March sees subtle changes in season from cold winter to humid Spring. It is a good time to visit Halong Bay nevertheless.
- March signals the end of winter and the start of spring on Halong Bay.
- It is regarded as one of the best months to discover the bay.
- The average temperature increases and the sea starts to warm up too.
- There are more hours of daily sunshine compared to previous months.
- The humidity and rainfall are both on the rise making Halong Bay more humid.
Planning to visit Halong Bay in March and the first thing you may wonder is how the weather in Halong Bay this month is? Interestingly, March is the switching time from cold winter to humid spring with a mix of many things. It boasts the first touch of spring in northern Vietnam, including Halong Bay. The weather becomes more stable and predictable with warmer temperatures and a higher amount of rainfall. This kind of weather is ideal for exploring the bay and joining water activities.
Yet, this is also the peak tourist season of Halong Bay so you should keep in mind of booking cruises and services as early as possible.
Halong Bay Weather in March
Springtime officially comes to Halong Bay in March, bringing along many exciting feelings. The most radical change we can witness in Halong Bay's weather in March is higher temperatures. The average maximum daily temperature is 20°C. It can sometimes reach a high of 23°C or hit a low of 18°C. The sea temperature is also enjoyable for swimming and water-based sports.
The number of sunny days increases, enabling you to participate in outdoor activities. In addition, the humidity level also climbs to around 75% but it is still comfortable enough so you can enjoy sightseeing trips and sports without getting sweaty heavily. There will be around 13 wet days with a total rainfall of 53mm.
March historical weather (10 years)
|Month||High / Low (°C)||Average rainfall (mm)||Humidity (%)|
|March (2022)||21°C / 25°C||22 mm||76%|
|March (2021)||24°C / 19°C||17 mm||82%|
|March (2020)||27°C / 15°C||29.97mm||87%|
|March (2019)||28°C / 15°C||108.19mm||86%|
|March (2018)||27°C / 16°C||10.29mm||80%|
|March (2017)||23°C / 15°C||42.95mm||83%|
|March (2016)||24°C / 13°C||23.55mm||79%|
|March (2015)||24°C / 16°C||29.66mm||85%|
|March (2014)||26°C / 14°C||22.22mm||86%|
|March (2013)||26°C / 14°C||58.55mm||81%|
|March (2012)||24°C / 14°C||48.55mm||80%|
Pros & Cons when visiting Halong bay in March
- The weather in March is not extreme and it is suitable for almost all visitors including children.
- Humidity and rainfall are still low enough to enjoy the broad range of activities on offer in Halong Bay.
- As March has such good weather, it is a busy month for overseas tourists. As a consequence, Halong Bay can be too crowded causing high prices and inconveniences for you.
Tet holiday is just over and there are no public holidays or big events in Halong Bay in March. Yet, if you are fond of traditional festivals, you can attend Yen Tu Festival and Cua Ong Festival.
- Yen Tu Festival is taken place on the 10th day of the first Lunar month every year lasting for 3 months. This is time for local inhabitants and pilgrims from many parts of the country to hold traditional rituals and activities at Yen Tu Mountain.
- Cua Ong Festival: Being organized from the 2nd day of the first lunar month to the 30th day of the third lunar month, Cua Ong Festival is held to worship the Tran Dynasty and offers many interesting folk games.
Best things to do in Halong Bay in March
Embarking on an overnight cruise to explore Halong Bay in 2 days or 3 days is no longer an extraordinary activity but a must in this UNESCO-recognized site. The journey offers authentic experiences both onboard and offshore such as cooking demonstrations, yoga classes, BBQ parties, squid fishing, swimming, kayaking, and snorkeling, ect.
Kayaking/ bamboo rowing boat
One of the best and closest ways to admire the natural beauty of Halong Bay is by kayaking. This is a signature activity of almost all cruises on the bay and is often free of charge. You will be provided with a small kayak and row through the limestone karsts of Halong Bay by yourself. There are a lot of great places for kayaking on Halong Bay: Luon Cave, Tung Sau Pearl Farm, Cua Van Fishing Village, and Dark & Bright Cave. Alternatively, a more leisurely and relaxing option for an insight into Halong Bay's scenery is to get on a bamboo boat rowed by local people.
Relatively warm weather and sea temperature offer great conditions for swimming. Halong has many stunning and safe beaches including Ba Trai Dao beach, Titop beach, and Minh Chau beach. You can also relax on the beach and sip drinks or simply sunbathe.
Blessed with comfortable weather and brighter sunlight, Halong Bay in March is needless to say a great time for mountain climbing or rock climbing if you are an adventurous traveler. One of the most recommended spots for mountain climbing is Titop Island. Here, you can climb up around 450 stone steps to the top of Titop mountain and contemplate panoramic views of the bay.
The warm temperature and clear vision in March allow tourists to Halong Bay to take a short seaplane trip. Hai Au aviation is the only airline offering this service. A scenic seaplane tour provides you with a majestic view of limestone mountains, jade-green waters, and ancient fishing villages on Halong Bay from a high altitude. A 25-minute seaplane ride costs around VND 1.550.000 (US$70).
What to pack
Thanks to the warmer weather, it is possible for you to pack lighter clothes and not be worried about chilly days. Indeed, T-shirts, jeans, shorts, and swimsuits are perfect things to bring along for an active venture on the bay. Additionally, items such as sunglasses, and sunscreen are necessary for your trip to Halong Bay.
Weather is not a big problem when you visit Halong Bay in March, however, there are a few things you should take into consideration before departure:
- With comfortable weather conditions, you should not pack too many heavy clothes, light ones are preferred.
- You should book the cruise in advance as soon as possible to get better prices and avoid overbooking.
- Since March is a busy travel time, you should consider lesser-touristy options such as visiting Lan Ha Bay, Cat Ba Island, and Bai Tu Long Bay.
Questions and Answers (0)
READ THIS NEXT
Book your cruise
Meet local experts
Call us now: +84 354 64 1421 (Whatsapp)