Tuan Chau Island: The Complete Guide
Tuan Chau Island is in the south-west of Halong Bay and is connected by both land and sea to Halong City.
- The whole area of this island is about 220 hectare (2,2 square kilometers), which consists of multiple sloping hills.
- Two beaches on the island are artificial, stretching over 2 kilometers long with white smooth sand and yellow sunshine the whole summer.
- The island is wonderfully rich in archaeological history and remains of the occupants who lived in the area about 3,500-5000 years ago, was found there.
- Many tourist cruise ships sail from Tuan Chau tourist pier including Paradise cruises, Aphrodite cruises, Pelican cruises, Glory cruises.
- The FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour was held in Tuan Chau Island in May 2019.
How to get there
Tuan Chau island is about 1.86 km from the mainland (Google maps)
- Tuan Chau, Ha Long, Quang Ninh, Vietnam (See maps and directions)
- Entrance fee: Free
Getting to Tuan Chau from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city. (See Bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay)
|Transport Modes||Duration||Avg Price|
|Hanoi to Tuan Chau (160 kilimeters)|
|Public bus||3-4 hrs||230,000-400,000 VND|
|Car||2-2.5 hrs||300,000-400,000 VND|
|Motorbike||3-5 hrs||100,000-150,000 VND|
|Train (Overnight)||5-7 hrs||70,000-120,000 VND|
|Ho Chi Minh City to Tuan Chau (1820 kilimeters)|
|Public bus||35-45 hrs||800,000-1,000,000 VND|
|Train||25-35 hrs||800,000-900,000 VND|
|Flight||2-3 hrs||1,000,000-3,000,000 VND|
Weather & climate
Tuan Chau pier on a cold and foggy winter morning (December)
Like any other parts in northern region of Vietnam, Tuan Chau island has four distinctive seasons: Spring (Jan-March), Summer (Apr-Jun), Autumn (Jul-Sept) and Winter (Oct-Dec). Please see our table below for the yearly weather averages.
|Spring||January, February, March|
|Summer||April, May, June|
|Autumn||July, August, September|
|Winter||October, November, December|
See & do
Cruise Boats in Halong Bay
There are lots of things to do for visitors on Tuan Chau Island. The island itself is quite mountainous and hilly and so it’s an ideal place to take a hike or trek and take in the island’s natural beauty. There are some idyllic beaches for those who like to relax and catch some rays, or even indulge in some water sports! Jet-skiing, windsurfing, fishing, and boating are all activities that are readily available on Tuan Chau Island.
1. Tuan Chau Beaches
- Address: Ngoc Chau, Tuan Chau island, Quang Ninh
- Opening time: 24/24
- Entrance fee: Free
2. Tuan Chau Park
- Address: Ngoc Chau, Tuan Chau, Halong, Quang Ninh (View Map)
- Opening time: 08-22:00 (Mon-Sun)
- Tel: 0203.3842.200/0336.550.009
- Hotline : 0934367555
- Entrance fee(as of July 2019): 350,000 VND/person - Free for children under 1 meter.
Game and Show Schedules
|Water Music Shows|
|Dolphin and Seal Shows|
Where to stay
Paradise Suites Hotel - One of the best places to stay in Tuan Chau Island.
Top 5 recommended hotels in Tuan Chau
There are many comfortable resorts and hotels for visitors to stay in if they choose to extend their trip to Tuan Chau. Here below is our top recommended list for hotels and resorts:
|1. Paradise Suites||1,000,000 VND to 2,500,000 VND||Paradise suites is the first luxury boutique hotel in the area. *We recommend this hotel as it is managed by Paradise group who is also the owner of the famous Paradise cruises line.|
|2. La Paz Resort Tuan Chau||900,000 VND to 2,8000,000 VND||A 4-star resort with private garden and beachfront view.|
|3. Moon Bay Ha Long Hotel||800,000 VND to 1,800,000 VND||A 4 star hotel offering beachfront view.|
|4. Sun Bay Hotel||800,000 VND to 1,600,000 VND||A-3 star hotels with 64 rooms, all with sea view.|
|5. Ha Long Harbour Hotel||950,000 VND to 2,600,000 VND||The 4-star hotel in Tuan Chau Island, with 112 rooms.|
Where to eat
Cua Vang Restaurant - Top rated restaurant for seafood dishes.
Restaurant choice in Tuan Chau is limited, we include here the most popular ones which are widely known among locals.
|Vinh Cat (Sandy bay) Restaurant|
|Cua Vang Tuan Chau|
Crusing in Halong bay
Here is our suggested 3 day 2 night itinerary for your trip to Tuan Chau:
- Day 1: Hanoi - Tuan Chau island - Stay in Paradise suites and enjoy shows at Tuan Chau Park. Overnight in Tuan Chau.
- Day 2: Halong bay cruising on Paradise cruises. Overnight on board.
- Day 3: Finish cruise trip at 12:00 PM and drive back to Hanoi
Extension: - If you have time, then you can arrange a trip to Cat Ba Island as there are daily ferries to Cat Ba from Tuan Chau island.
READ THIS NEXT
Book your cruise
Halong Bay: Questions
Free ITINERARY planning with us!
Planning your trip with our Halong local experts, we will help you with:
- Accomodation: Find the best hotels/homestay or BnB.
- Tours: Connect you to the trusted tour operator in Halong bay.
- Cruises: Find the best cruise on your date!
- It is all FREE